“Simply tasty, healthy and easy.”
[With Video Demo Below]
Chicken and Coconut Soup is healthily tasty, and it’s also helping people to recuperate from after exercising due to its high potassium property as well as antioxidant found in the coconut water. Of course, the herbs used in my recipe yields great effect in overall health effect to body immune system, lung nourishing, brain & bone development and liver detoxification.
Long story short. This soup allows us to enjoy the taste while absorbing full nutrients from it. :)
Written recipe Double-Boiled Herbal Chicken Coconut Soup [in both English & Chinese]:
2 large fresh young coconut (with coconut flesh and water in it)
2 chicken legs, medium size
4 dried oysters, soaked for 15min
Salt to taste
Seasoning (A) for chicken legs:
1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
Dash of sesame oil
Dash of black pepper
Herbs (split into 2 portions each):
10-12 pcs of Solomon’s Seal Rhizome (Yu Zhu)
4 slices G. Elata (Tian Ma)
2 small sticks of ginseng roots
2 slices of licorice (Gan Cao)
2 red dates
Handful of wolfberries
4只 蚝干 (蠔豉), 浸泡15分钟
(1) Marinate chicken drumstick with seasoning (A) for 15min. Rinse the dried oysters and set aside for later.
(2) Use a cleaver carefully chop around open the top of the coconut husk. Pour the water from inside the coconut into a bowl, set aside for later. You may use a spoon to scope out the coconut flesh inside, or just leave the flesh intact as it is.
(3) In an emptied coconut shell, put in the herbs, marinated chicken drumstick, 2 dried oysters and salt. Slowly fill in with the coconut water until full. Repeat the step for another coconut shell.
(4) Place the filled coconuts on a metal mesh plate in a large pot. Fill the pot with 1/3 level of water. Cover the pot, turn on medium-high heat and let coconuts simmer for 1.5hr. Just make sure always have water in the pot throughout the double boiling process. Once ready, serve immediately. *Refer to the photo below
What about Dried Oyster in Double-Boiled Herbal Chicken Coconut Soup ?
If you are thinking why dried oyster? Can I don’t add it? My answer is: Yes and no. Yes, according to my style, cooking is versatile. As long as you like your cooking, do whatever adjustment to the ingredients, condiments and measurements, as desired (I do always have different adaptions of the same old dish!). No, because fried oyster helps to elevate the flavor of the soup! Its saltiness brings up the full flavor as well as balances up the excessive sweetness Of the coconut soup. Most importantly, dried oyster aids in liver detoxification. It also supplemented the absorption of calcium to our bone health. So, why not? :)
为什么蚝干？可以不加吗？我的答案：Yes和No。是的，根据我的做菜风格，烹饪是自由的，多元化的。只要是你喜欢吃的，那就尽情地把配料，调味和份量作调整吧（我也经常把同一款菜式还来改去的！)…. No的话，是因为蚝干有助于提高椰汤的味道呀！它的咸味能带出并平衡椰子汤的甜味。最重要的是，蚝干有助于肝脏排毒。它含有的磷还能帮助我们的骨骼吸收钙质。那么，为什么No呢？ :)
A bowl of chicken coconut soup counts about 300kcal. 一碗鸡炖椰汤约300卡路里。
Tips: If you would like to eat the coconut flesh in the soup easily, choose the step of scooping out the coconut flesh first. Then, return it with the rest of the ingredients to cook altogether.
* This soup is maximized with the natural sweetness yielded from the coconut water which I truly loved it. If you prefer less sweet but more to the savory taste in the soup, simply replace half of the amount of coconut water with plain water.
* All Chinese herbs are commonly available in most Chinese medical shops and some supermarkets.
I want more !!
If you are like me, who loves Double-Boiled soups, you can try my other double-boiled recipe of “Double-Boiled Red Apple & Mixed Veggie with Cod Fish Bone Soup“
And if you want even more recipes or good spots for eating…
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel too. Or Instagram. Or Facebook :)
3 thoughts on “Double-Boiled Herbal Chicken Coconut Soup (鸡炖药材椰子汤) : 1 Quick Recipe for Healthy and Tasty”
This looks good! I want one now but where do I get coconut pula…
You mean the coconut? I got it either from certain wet markets or supermarkets.
Hmmm.. good idea. Even tho during MCO time it’s a bit trickier.