“It’s our ritual to cook this chicken chop for Christmas, I would still add a twist to my already-good recipe.”
Chicken chop for this Christmas Eve was a little bit simpler and quicker to cook as I was out to run errand urgently the whole day. Only managed to fix the meal the last minute, I had to whip up our dinner within an hour. And, this is what I had here.
It was real quick and simple to cook this chicken chop, all I had to do was to get all the ingredients from supermarket first. Making mashed Kudzu root was my first attempt to create something new in place of potato.
Kudzu root or Japanese Arrowroot (粉葛), a starchy root vegetable, often used in Asian cooking, especially soup dishes. It is high in complex carbohydrates, and Kudzu helps in soothing and cooling to the digestive tract. By mashing boiled Kudzu root, it yields sticky soft texture, and it’s almost tasteless. It’s unique and palatable when made using my recipe. Let’s see..
4 boneless chicken thighs with skin intact
4 tablespoons of Cajun powder
2 tablespoons of all purpose seasoning
1 tablespoon of cayenne powder
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1 medium Kudzu root
1 medium onion, peeled and cut
1 sprig of parsley leave, chopped
50ml of cooking cream
2 tablespoons of salted butter
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
(1) Season chicken chops with Cajun powder, seasoning powder and cayenne powder. Remove rosemary leaves from its stems, add leaves into the marination. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
(2) Heat frying pan with oil over medium fire, pan fry chicken chop together with the rosemary leaves, till both sides are browned and crisped. Keep the chicken oil in the frying pan, that’s to be the nice chicken sauce dressing.
(3) Peel and cut Kudzu root into small pieces, and boil on medium high heat until Kudzu root turns soft, for about 30 minutes. Add onion into the boil, continue boiling for another 15 minutes, or until roots and onion are softened.
(4) Place softened root, onion, cream, butter, salt and pepper into blender. Blend till smooth and creamy. Mix in chopped parsley. Divide mashed Kudzu root onto serving plates.
(5) Top chicken chop onto mashed root. Serve mixed vegetables by the side. Drizzle chicken oil dressing on the chicken chop. Serve immediately.
A serving of my chicken chop meal counts about 400kcal.
Tips: Seasoning powders e.g. Cajun, all purpose, cayenne powder, are widely available in major supermarkets.