“It’s silken smooth, and flavorsome”
This is my mashed potato in super smooth consistency. The secret? No secret… Simply blend the potato instead of just smashing it with fork. :)
As for my peppery sauce, it was simple to cook, and flavorsome to taste, making the mashed potato side a hit on our New Year Eve dinner feast. We all loved it a lot. And since I used only milk to cook the gravy, it might not as smooth texture as using heavy cream. Hence, the alternative is to use chicken stock plus heavy cream, instead of milk ya. But for me, I’ll stick to this leaner recipe for now. :)
4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut
1 tablespoon of full cream milk
1 knob of unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Peppery Brown Gravy:
200ml of full cream milk
50ml of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of flour
1 teaspoon of grounded white pepper
1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon of grounded nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of chicken granule
1 teaspoon of thick soy sauce (for the color)
Pinch of salt and sugar
(1) Soak cut potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes. Drain and place in fresh pot of water to boil till soften.
(2) Transfer boiled potatoes into a large bowl and cool a little. Then, add unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon of milk. Mash and blend the potato mixture using electrical hand blender, or jar blender till smooth. Transfer mashed potato into a serving dish.
(3) Gravy making: Heat sauce pan on low fire. Add olive oil and melt butter. Sprinkle flour and continuously stir to mix well. Stir in milk. Add the rest of the seasonings and let it simmer for a bit until desired texture of the sauce. Remember to stir occasionally to avoid sticking during the simmering process.
(4) Scope mashed potato onto serving plate using an ice cream scope. Create a well in the middle of mashed potato by pressing down on the top with the back of the ice cream scope. Top peppery gravy into the well of the mashed potato to serve.
Tips: The flour-butter mixture might be lumpy and hard to dissolve. Stir and press it during the sauce cooking, if necessary.
* If you like to elevate the flavor of mashed potato with a little cheesy taste, replace the addition of milk with 1 tablespoon of grated cheddar cheese to the blend.
1 thought on “Silken Smooth Mashed Potato with Homemade Peppery Gravy”
Hi, yup this post is really pleasant and I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging. thanks.