“Spicy Tamarind Prawns that whet your appetite. Double your rice intake with it!”
I had no idea what to do with the prawns in the refrigerator and I must cook it by today as fresh prawns weren’t be able to keep for long. Hmm.. wanted something spicy to excite my appetite. Ok! Would do an express cooking with the prawns this time, since it was a weekday. Simple condiment which could be found anytime in my kitchen, I made the spicy tamarind prawns.
My cooking method is also very simple. See below:
12 – 16 medium prawns with shell intact (about 300 gram), trimmed
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 tablespoon of tamarind paste with pulps, mixed into 30ml of water
1 tablespoon of belachan chili paste
1 tablespoon of sugar
1) Trim the eyes and legs of prawns. Remain shell intact. Wash and pat dry. Reserve for later.
2) Mix the tamarind paste with 1/2 cup of water. Soak until soft, squeezing it with your fingers to help mixing it well. Strain to separate pulps.
3) Heat wok with oil over high fire. Add garlic and stir fry till fragrant.
4) Add chili paste, stir-fry till its pungent scent spurs. Add in prawns. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, add tamarind sauce and sugar.
5) Stir-fry for another 3 minutes, or until the sauce dries up. Serve hot with rice.
Taste of these prawns were so appetizing. The prawns were spicy, with a little sweetness and a hint of sourish taste in the palate.
This is not a wet dish. If you prefer a gravied dish, add more water in your tamarind mixture, or go see my Assam Prawn recipe.
Calorie count of this dish is about 280kcal per portion of 3 – 4 prawns. If you prefer to crisp the prawns by deep frying them beforehand, this will add much more calories intake of the dish. Consider your choice carefully.
Tips: Cut a slit a the back of the prawn (together with its shell) to devein the prawn, as desired.