“Food of five elements. Gold is white. Will white food really help in nourishing our lungs?”
White color food helps in lungs strengthening. Nourishing, clearing, strengthening, reducing heat in lung, and as lung coughing remedy.
Some of these herbs and food that helps in strengthening our lungs often appear in my cookings, which I have also included in my lung-nourishing coconut chicken herbal soup.
Written Recipe below:
1 chunk of snow fungus, cut small pieces and trimmed away its hard part
1 large fresh coconut (with its content)
1 piece chicken drumstick, skinned
2 dried oysters, soaked for 15min
Marination for chicken drumstick (A):
1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
Dash of sesame oil
Dash of white pepper
5-10 pcs of Solomon’s Seal Rhizome (Yu Zhu)
1 small stick Korean ginseng root
2 slices of licorice (Gan Cao)
1-2 red dates
Handful of almonds
Handful of wolfberries
(1) Marinate chicken drumstick with seasoning (A) for 15min.
(2) Rinse the dried oysters and set aside for later.
(3) Carefully cut open the top of the coconut husk. Empty its coconut water into a bowl, set aside for later. Use a metal spoon to scrape out the coconut flesh inside, set aside for later.
(4) In an emptied coconut shell, put in the herbs, marinated chicken drumstick and dried oysters.
(5) Add salt to taste. Slowly fill in with the coconut water until full. (May mix with water if prefer milder sweetness in the soup)
(6) Fill the large pot with 1/3 level of water. Place filled coconut in it.
(7) Cover the pot, turn on high heat and let coconuts simmer for 1.5 to 2hr. Just make sure always have water in the pot throughout the double boiling process. Once ready, serve immediately.
1 bowl of nourishing coconut chicken herbal soup counts less than 200kcal.
Double Boiling method is better?
As coconut husk is thick, double boiling with the coconut submerged in the boiling water to cook is more ideal than doing the steaming method. and why double boiling, and not directly cook in the pot?
Double boiled (炖) is not referring to boiling two times, but to layer the pots, by having the inner pot submerging within the outer pot of boiling water. This is to avoid the cooking to come in contact with direct fire. So as to retain more nutrients in the cooking better with its more gentle way of cooking. In my recipe, I used coconut shell as the “inner pot”. The use of coconut shell actually helps in adding some of its nutritional value into the soup through the double boiling process. However, to simplify the soup cooking, you may also choose to omit the coconut shell and use simply any ceramic/ metal pot you want to serve your soup at home. Easy.
Five Elements Food Therapy really works?
Traditional Chinese medicine and metaphysics, both learnt and believed in using “five elements vs five colors” diet therapy. Personally, I did benefit from the practice. After all, daily well balanced diet is what we are looking at.