Post & Recipe in English and Chinese (中英食谱)
“This delicious coconut tart is deceptively easy to bake. 看似复杂，其实就是简单易做的椰子挞。”
Firm yet moist coconut filling is the main essence of a great tasting coconut tart. If you like, here’s what I have gathered from various good recipes, and achieved a well balanced result, after a few trials. Thanks to many great bakers on their selfless sharing. :)
Yields 28 minis
Ingredients for dough:
220g plain flour
40g icing sugar
100g cold butter, cubed
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg, lightly beaten
Ingredients for filling:
250g grated coconut
80g caster sugar
80g butter, melted
80ml evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
Pinch of salt
(1) Preheat oven to 170deg Celsius. Mix icing sugar and plain flour together. Rub butter cubes into flour mixture until sandy (crumbly) appearance.
(2) Add vanilla essence into beaten egg, pour into crumbly flour mixture until it forms non-sticking soft dough. Wrap dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
(3) Heat a dry pan over super low fire, add grated coconut and stir fry till aroma releases. Transfer into a mixing bowl to cool. Mix in all other ingredients. Set aside.
(4) Return chilled dough and place on lightly dusted table top. Roll dough out till about 0.5cm thickness. Tear out part of the dough and lay on lightly greased tart mould. Light press it in with fingers to shape. Trim away excessive dough around edges. Repeat step until dough used up.
(5) Use a fork to light prick the bottom of the crusts. Now, fill crusts with coconut mixture. Bake on lower tier for 25 – 30 minutes. When done, leave to cool before removing from moulds.
1 mini tart counts about 180kcal. 1个迷你椰挞约180卡路里。
Tips: My recipe calls for average sweetness to suit my palate. If sweeter filling is preferred, suggest increasing sugar to 100g.
* Pre-frying grated coconut is to elevate the aroma. It’s just a quick stir fry and do not brown the coconut though. It’s ok, if you feel like omitting this step.
* The coconut filling might be too watery, not to worry as it’s to keep the filling moist and soft after baking. However, the overflowing sugared liquid from the filling might make the edges of the tart lightly caramelized and browned, even it doesn’t affect the taste. If you do not like it, suggest draining the juice slightly, or reduce the amount of evaporated milk.
* To remove tarts from hard moulds, insert a toothpick from the side to loosen it.
3 thoughts on “Mini Coconut Tarts (迷你椰子挞)”
Hi! May I know if I can use store bought tart shells for this? If yes, I wont be able to poke hole on the bottom of shells, is it ok and will it affect in anyway? Also if using ready shells, do I still bake at the lower shelf? Thanks for your help!
Hi! may I know if I can use store bought ready tarts for these? If yes, I will not able to poke holes at the bottom of the tarts so will it affect the tarts somehow? If using ready bought tarts, do I still bake at the lower shelf? Thanks!
If ready tart shells are used, do not need to do the pricking. You may bake it in middle rack or use only upper heat.