“Indulge your taste buds with a treat of this cheesy and fruity fried prawns dish.”
I had leftover mozzarella cheese in my refrigerator. Did not want to keep for too long. How shall I use it to prepare dinner, besides using it for pizza making?
Actually, I intended to fry just the battered prawns which are tasty enough to eat it just by itself. Uh huh! Let me cook cheesy fried prawns then! Since all of us love cheese, might as well make it a ‘wet’ dish instead of eating it dry, right?
As we know, Mozzarella cheese tastes mild. I’ve added plain yogurt to enhance the overall taste of this dish. To make it more delicate and refreshing. Again, use of yogurt has always been my favourite cooking style (smiling).
Children would love the dish which reminiscent of the taste of pizza. Called it the “Pizza” prawn, for the thread-like texture of Mozzarella cheese, if you liked.
Another way to present your cheesy prawns.
It’s simple to make. I spent about 20 min to get this dish served.
16 medium prawns, shelled (leaving tail intact)
125 gram of Mozzarella cheese, shredded (about ½ cup)
1 small tomato, diced
1 wedge of pineapple, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon of plain yogurt
1 teaspoon of sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of butter
1) To make batter: Put flour and cornstarch into a mixing bowl. Add water, and mix well, until smooth texture. Add in egg, and beat well. Add pinch of salt. Combine all ingredients well. The texture of batter should be slightly “stiff” (adhering to an upturned spoon for a couple of seconds) or thick. Reserve until needed.
2) Heat oil in a wok over medium-high fire. Dip prawn in batter, coat completely and drain any excess batter. Place prawns in wok to fry for 2 min, or until lightly browned. Fry prawns in batches, do not fry more than 6 – 8 prawns at a time, if using wok.
3)Remove prawns from wok using wire mesh strainer, and drain on kitchen towel. Repeat steps for remaining prawns. Thereafter, arrange fried prawns nicely on a serving dish. Set aside.
4) To make cheese topping: Heat oil in a saucepan over medium fire. Add butter and onion, and fry till fragrant.
5) Add in tomato and pineapple. Stir fry for 3 min. Sprinkle salt, and stir well.
6) Reduce heat to low fire. Add cheese and yogurt. Add in sugar. Briefly stir to combine the ingredients.
7) Simmer for 1 min, or until cheese completely melted. Pour cheese sauce over fried prawns. Serve hot.
No doubt, this is a calorie-fueled dish. Consumption of 3 – 4 fried and cheesy shrimps counts about 300kcal. Maybe I should not say, “…just having it once in a while”, but that’s indeed what I thought when having it… (laughing).
Tips: Use either plain flour or rice flour for the batter.