“Romantic coffee pancakes with smoked salmon, cheesy scrambled egg & flowers.”
Valentine’s Day is always romantic. Though we hope that everyday is just as great as the festive day itself, but who doesn’t wish it to be a little more special and memorable, and simply to mark the day.
If cooking dinner is not for you, you want to be brought to romantic candle-lit dinner, don’t you? Still, wish to do something for your loved one, how about a fanciful breakfast yo kick start your romantic day?
Don’t be deceived by the extensive steps I have listed for you in my recipe. I got my sets done within an hour, really. :)
Ingredients (A) for pancake:
110g of cake flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
180ml of milk
1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil (VCO)
2 tablespoons of 3-1 instant coffee powder
1 tablespoon of honey
Pinch of salt
Ingredients (B) for cheesy scrambled egg:
2 tablespoons of milk
1 tablespoon of grated Cheddar cheese 1 tablespoon of grated Mozzarella cheese
Pinch of salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Ingredients (C) for fruits salsa:
1 honey mango, peeled and cubed
1 avocado, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon of Japanese mayonnaise
Pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
Pinch of chia seeds
Toppings & Garnishing:
Smoked salmon slices
Edible fresh or dried rose buds
Edible fresh or dried lavender buds
Maple syrup or dressing of your choice
(1) To cook pancake: Add ingredients (A) together. Gentle combine with a fork, and do not over mix it. The consistency of the pancake batter should be thick but flowy.
(2) Coat a thin layer of oil over non stick frying pan. Heat with low fire. Ladle a scope of batter on the pan and let it cook until tiny bubbles appear on the top of the pancake. Flip over and brown another side. Repeat step till all batter are used up. Set aside.
(3) Break eggs in a bowl. Add milk, salt and pepper. Beat to combine well. Heat pan with oil over medium fire. Pour egg mixture and let it cook until slightly set, scramble the egg till cooked. Set aside.
(4) To make fruit salsa: Add mango and avocado cubes in a bowl. Squeeze lime juice over the fruits. Mix in mayonnaise, pepper and chia seeds. Chill in fridge for later.
(5) To assemble the dish: Place one pancake on a serving dish. Top with scrambled egg. Stack another pan cake, and top with mango/ avocado salsa.
(6) To make salmon rosette: Line salmon slices horizontally, interlapping the end parts of each slice. Roll up the salmon slices from one end to the other to form rose petals pattern. Top it on the salsa.
(7) To create heart-shaped cherry tomatoes skewer: Half cherry tomato diagonally in the middle, lengthwise. Overturn half of the tomato to form heart shape. Repeat step and prick through a skewer. Or, watch my short video below.
(8) Garnish the dish with dried rose and lavender petals. Place tomato hearts skewers as decoration. Drizzle your preferred sauce dressing. Repeat steps for more servings.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
A serving counts about 450kcal.
Short clip to demonstrate cherry tomato hearts:
Tips: Adjust the amount of milk in pancake batter. Its consistency cannot be too watery.
* Dried flowers can be purchased from supermarket, Chinese medical halls in shopping mall, and of course, organic tea shops.
* Lavender buds are strong in flavor, go easy on the garnishing.
* Instead of individual cheese, may use mixed cheese or pasta cheeses which is readily packed from supermarkets.