Avocado is definitely a superfood for all ages due to its high nutritional value. However, not everyone would accept its creamy texture and taste. I personally loved it so much that I would eat it whenever I could, but it wasn’t the case for my children. In order to make them eat, the taste of the avocado mustn’t be present in their palate. If you, too, encounter hard time getting your young ones (and even the big ones) to eat avocado, here I have a great & simple solution for you. Here you go, having the superfood disguised in my little sweet treat. Who says this is not one of the best ways for treats & “tricks”.. :D
Yields 6″ cake
1 ripe avocado, peeled and lightly mashed
80g of butter
80g of caster sugar
1 large egg
50 – 60ml milk
150g of plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
Frosting & Filling:
150g of cream cheese
150g of semi-dark chocolate
2 tablespoons of milk
1 – 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
Chocolate rice sprinkles
6″ tube pan
(1) Preheat oven at 175deg Celsius. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, on high speed. Add mashed avocado and continue beating until completely incorporated. Add egg and beat for another 2-3 minutes.
(2) Mix and sieve plain flour, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl. Then, lower speed, alternate plain flour mixture and milk into the beating, in few batches. The final consistency should be viscous. Pour batter into tube cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until skewer inserted into cake comes out clean. When baked, cool on rack.
(3) For frosting: Mix chocolate and milk in a bowl and microwave for 40 sec. Let chocolate sit in warm milk for few seconds before stirring to combine. Let it cool.
(4) Beat cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth on medium high speed. Pour chocolate mixture and continue beating until well incorporated.
(5) Place cooled cake on cake tray. Fill the hollow part of cake with chocolate cream cheese and spread over the top. Sprinkle chocolate rice. Serve.
A serving of my choco cream cheese avocado cake counts about 250kcal.
Tips: Adjust sweetness to your preference.
* Adjust the addiction of milk, too. Cake batter should be thick, flow with resistance.
* The cake may looked grainy, but it’s not crumbly. This cake yields soft and moist texture, in fact.
* Chilling is not necessarily for this cake, just leave it at room temperature to serve to retain its soft & fluffy cake texture.