For health purpose, we are supposed to take at least 5 colors of vegetables a day. For dieting purpose, this is the soup for you. Even when you need delicious and steamy hot supper, look nowhere, this is the one!
This is not the conventional 5-color soup, but something I have come out with that I personally thought was very tasty and home-feel. Not only it’s colourful and nutritious, it’s a tasty clear soup which you won’t mind having it everyday. Even my toddler son loved this!
1 carrot, peeled and diced ‘for Orange color’
1 ear of fresh corn, sliced ‘for Yellow color’
1 block of green tea tofu, cut ‘for Green color,
Handful of black ear fungus (wood ear mushrooms 黑木耳), soaked and cut ‘for Black color’
Handful of cherry tomatoes ‘for Red color’
Handful of dried anchovy fish (Ikan billis), rinsed and patted dry
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper
About 1500ml of water
(1) Heat pot with oil over low fire. Sauté garlic and anchovy fish till aroma releases and drizzle a little bit of water to create sizzling effect. Pour in all remaining water (about 1/2 pot filled), and bring it to a boil over medium fire.
(2) When water boiled, add carrot, corn and black ear fungus, cover pot with lid and bring it to a boil again before lowering heat to simmer for 15 min, or until ingredients are cooked and softened.
(3) Stir in white pepper and salt. Then, add tomatoes and tofu. Let it simmer for another 5-10 min, with lid on. Heat off. Garnish and serve hot.
A serving of this low fat soup counts less than 150kcal.
Tips: Rinse dried anchovy fish a few times or soak in water for 5 min.
* Black ear fungus are available in both dried pack or fresh soft type in many supermarkets. I used the fresh type as preferred.
* Green tea tofu comes in pale green color and pleasantly tasted with mild green tea flavor. It is available at NTUC Fairprice. Look up at chilled compartment. S$1.4 per block.