Pink cupcake was my son’s favorite cake. So, making pink frosting to the cupcakes was my first choice.
Cupcakes are certainly a hit, especially in the parties and gatherings. Its individual portion is convenient to serve. With wide choices of frosting deco, these cupcakes are making the party table look fabulous, too. ″
And, since I made these mainly for my toddler son, buttercream frosting was spared. Forget about fancy cream and whatsoever, I used just a light whipped cream frosting here. It’s my all time favorite frosting, anyway!
It’s easy to make, suitable for both the children and adults. My son would eat at least 2 cupcakes at one go each time. Try it!
Yields about 20 small cupcakes
Ingredients for cake:
400g sponge cake mix
250g raspberry yogurt
2 tablespoons amount of raspberries, briefly chopped
3 medium eggs
40g butter, melted
1 teaspoon of raspberry essence
Ingredients for light frosting:
100ml of whipping cream
2 tablespoons of icing sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
A touch of red food coloring
Decoration: Colorful beads, or your preferred toppings
(1) Pour cake mix, butter and yogurt into mixing bowl. Blend well. Add eggs, one at a time. Add water, bit by bit, while blending, until the batter flowy (but not too watery) with resistant. Continue blending until batter turns whitish and light texture. Fold in raspberry fruits.
(2) Divide batter into greased cupcake mould or cups. Bake in preheated oven at 170deg Celsius for 25 – 30 minutes.
(3) While baking, let’s make the frosting. Pour whipping cream into chilled mixing bowl and blend on highest speed. Add icing sugar, vanilla essence and a touch of red coloring when cream turns soft peak. Continue blending until stiff peak formed. Whipped cream should be able to hold on the spatula without falling.
(4) Cool cupcakes on rack completely before frosting. Frost a swirl on top of each cupcake and decorate. Store in container in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Each of my cupcake counts about 180kcal.
Tips: I used Bake King Optima Sponge Cake Mix which is available at supermarkets eg NTUC Xtra and NTUC Finest.
* I used food coloring powder instead of liquid form as I would like to create a little bit of uneven tone of coloring in my cupcakes. Red powder food coloring allows me to create pink frosting with traces of red in it.
* Use either fresh or frozen raspberries. If real raspberry fruits aren’t available, use raspberry yogurt which comes with real fruit in it.
* The addition of raspberry essence is optional. It is only for a stronger flavor in the cake which is much likable by the kids.
* Cupcakes could be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.