“Many people tried to cook this failed dismally, but it would never be you! Here’s my simple and dainty prawn dish for you.”
I never thought such delicious prawn dish could be assembled that simple, initially. It might not look as beautiful as what the famous restaurant presents, but you would be impressed by the taste, or the simple steps found in this recipe.
If you are interested to make this, here is the recipe.
Do feel free to cook this for the older kids. My girl liked it a lot! However, you may want to reduce the amount of wasabi paste to just 1 teaspoon or lesser. Don’t intimidate the children by its pungency, especially if it is going to be their first taste of this dish. Make them like it, they will love you more. :)
500g of medium prawns, shelled completely and cut a slit at the back of the prawns to devein
2 egg white, whisked till lightly foamy
3 tablespoons of corn flour (to coat)
Ingredients (B) for Wasabi sauce:
1 – 2 teaspoon of wasabi paste
2 heaping tablespoonful of Japanese mayonnaise
2 teaspoons of condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
* Combine the above ingredients (B) and stir to mix well.
1 cup of oil (to fry the prawns)
1) Rinse prawns and pat dry. Lightly coat all prawns with corn flour in a large bowl. Then, dip the prawns in the beaten egg white. Then, coat with corn flour, again.
2) Heat oil in wok over low fire. Then, place the prawns in the medium-heated oil to deep fry till lightly crisped. Do not over-heat the oil to avoid over-browning. Remove prawns and drain on a oil strainer. Reserve prawns for later.
3) Now, to assemble all the ingredients in the dish, you may either:
Arrange the prawns nicely on a serving dish and simply drizzle the Wasabi sauce over the prawns to serve.
Or, return the prawns in a clean heated wok. Then, pour in the Wasabi sauce and perform a quick tossing in the heated wok before dishing up. This way, the sauce will be warmed up, too, if it is important to you to have the dish serves entirely hot.
Sounds too easy for a restaurant’s dish? Yeah, it is. The homemade version, taste as great!
A portion of my crisped prawns with Wasabi Mayo sauce counts about 400kcal.
Tips: Of course, the mixing of Wasabi sauce has to be the key to a successful Wasabi prawns dish, but one thing good about home cook, the versatility. If you like the flavour to be more pungent, add more Wasabi paste…. If you like it to be sweeter, add more Condenses milk… If you dislike even a tinge of sourish taste in your dish, oh well, omit the lemon juice entirely! See.. always sample your sauce and work it around..
* Use any types of medium-large prawns. Frozen prawns as well.