“Easy making, healthy & super delicious steamed Cod for the family”
A subtly flavorful sauce makes a delicate companion to the Cod. It’s simply easy and hassle free to prepare such healthy and delicious steamed fish dish.
This steamed Cod fish steak tasted so fresh, tender and smooth with a hint of natural milky flavour in the palate. My hubby loved it alot.
This Cod dish does not need excessive seasoning or garnishing. I topped some crisped fried ginger, and you may embellish further with some red chili jullienes and corriander for colorful presentation.
1 thick slice of fresh Cod Fish steak (about 1/2″ thick), rinsed with salted water
Ingredients for Hong Kong Style Sauce:
1 tablespoon of fish sauce (鱼露)
1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon fried shallot oil
1.5 tablespoon of boiled water
* Mix all above ingredients of sauce mixture together in a bowl.
Ingredients for making garnishing:
1 piece of thumb-sized ginger, shredded
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1) Rinse and pat dry Cod fish steak gently with kitchen towel.
2) Lay fish steak on a porcelain or stainless steel dish and steam in electrical steamer, or place on wire rack in wok filled with water on stove over high fire. Steam fish steak for 15 minutes.
3) In the meantime, heat separate wok with oil over medium fire. Fried shredded ginger till browned and crisped. Remove from wok and drain on kitchen towel. Set aside.
4) When fish is cooked, remove the dish from steamer or wok. Pour sauce mixture onto steamed fish steak. Garnish with crisped fried ginger shreds. Serve hot.
A large portion of my steamed Cod counts about 140kcal.
Tips: Making of fried shallot oil: Thinly slice 1 shallot. Heat wok with oil over medium-high fire, add sliced shallot and fry till browned. Discard the browned shallot and use only the shallot oil.
* Cod fish must be very fresh to avoid any possible fishy taste when steamed.