“Silky mashed potato, expressly made from home. A good accompaniment for your Western meal, or to simply enjoy it as a snack when all you want is just smooth, creamy & mild cheesy feeling in the palate!”
This mashed potato was just so fabulous, even without the instant mushroom sauce. It’s simply smooth and exceedingly moist enough for the palate.
Yes, if you are looking for a slightly different mashed potato recipe, try this simple and quick to fix mashed potato dish at home. Good for an express lunch with greens salad, or to pair with nice juicy chop for a romantic dinner.
I cooked this as one of the sides for my Western dinner meal the other day. Since I was preparing this together with a complete meal, I saved time by having the instant mushroom sauce instead of making my own one. I got this packet of mushroom sauce off the shelf, which was not specifically meant for mashed potato, but it’s good as the sauce for grilled chicken or beef steak. Try to find it in NTUC Fairprice or Cold Storage supermarket.
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (Russet potato)
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium egg yolk
50 grams of cheddar cheese, grated
1 packet of instant mushroom gravy, get it off the shelves
1) In a pot cover potatoes with water by 1 inch, and simmer over high heat, until very tender, for about 15 minutes.
2) Drain the potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Add in butter and cheese, mix and mash with a large metal fork. Do this quick while it’s still pipping hot.
3) When potatoes are mashed until almost smooth, fold in lightly scrambled egg yolk. Continue mashing the potato till smooth, creamy and well combined. Set aside.
4) Empty the content of the instant mushroom sauce packet into a small saucepan. Heat sauce over low fire, for 2 minutes, or according to the directions indicated on the packet.
5) Final stage, scoope mashed potato onto a serving dish with the ice cream scooper. Make a shallow well in the middle of the mashed potato by pressing it lightly with the rounded back off the scooper. Pour heated mushroom sauce into the potato well. Serve immediately.
A portion of my mashed potato counts about 260kcal, with the instant mushroom sauce which counts about 40kcal more to the mashed potato meal.
Tips: Instant mushroom gravy for mashed potato is available at NTUC Finest supermarket or Cold Storage.