Just baked this cake for leisure indulgence, and saw its pure white creaming with bright red strawberries on it. This reminds me of the…. Christmas which is approaching!
Besides the log cakes, I think this cake makes wonder for my Christmas this year. I am gonna bake this same cake again for the Christmas and I am confident that this will be a big hit for the children of my friends over the small gathering I am going to have during the season.
It’s very simple to bake and decorate. I am sure you will like to have one for your festive celebration. Yeah, how about having this “Christmas on the Snow” for the eve, and a.. chocolate log cake for the actual day? Sounds great, isn’t it (chuckling)?!
200 grams of sponge cake premix (I used Optima Ready Mix from Bake King brand)
3 large eggs
50 ml mixture of milk + water (about 1/4 small cup)
10 grams of butter
1 teaspoon of strawberry emulco
Filling, Creaming & Decoration:
200 ml of (non-dairy) fresh cream, whipped
4 large fresh and ripe strawberries, trimmed and diced
8 – 10 large fresh and ripe strawberries, trimmed and halved
50 gram of apricot gel, boiled in 50g water until dissolved, and cooled for later.
1) Mix cake premix flour, butter, milk mixture, and eggs into large mixing bowl. Use electrical mixer to beat cake mixture well at medium speed (No. 2), for 8 – 10 minutes. Add strawberry emulco and mix well.
2) Pre-heat oven for 10 minutes, set temperature to 180°C.
3) Grease and line a sheet of grease-proof paper evenly on a 8” square or round baking pan. Pour in cake mixture. Place baking pan at centre rack. Bake for 30 – 35 min using 180°C (top and bottom heat on), or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out completely clean.
4) Allow cake to cool on wire rack, for about an hour. When cake is completely cooled, slice it into 2 layers, using bread knife.
5) For filling: Use half the amount of whipped cream and mix in diced strawberries. Combine all well. Spread a thick layer of filling evenly on the bottom layer of cake. Leave some space around the edges of the cake.
6) Top another layer of cake. Then, spread a thick layer of (another half amount of cream left) whipped cream evenly covering the whole cake. Next, arrange strawberries on top nicely with flat surface down. Lastly, glaze the top of the fruits with apricot gel solution for more shiny appearance. Chill decorated cake in the refrigerator till ready to serve.
A slice of my strawberry cream cake counts about 300kcal.