“Simple and delicious homemade Snow Skin Moon Cake (Non-baked) warms the hearts of your loved ones”
Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节) is approaching. Lunar calendar 15th August, which is English calendar, 3rd Oct 09.
Mooncakes from all brands, hotels and bakeries, are selling hot and fast in the market. I personally think moon cake is overly priced, just for the season, but no choice. Mooncake is the main festive food we have to have for this festive celebration, for self consumption as well as for gift to family and friends.
I am not a big fan of mooncake, but of course, I MUST have mooncake every year since it can only be eaten once a year (smile). However, I thought unless you are going for really famous one or unique flavour which can’t find anywhere, make your own mooncakes! From basic lotus paste or red bean flavour to green tea flavour, you can make it your own at home!
Snow skin is very easy to make. Called it snow skin, I guess it’s because this non-baked mooncake has smooth and light layer of skin resembling snow. And it is also to serve chilled. It’s fast and easy to make.. but many details have to be noticed (See my below listed tips). To warm the heart of your loved ones this year, make your very own mooncake to impress them!
100 grams of icing sugar, sifted
100 grams of snow powder
80 grams of shortening fat (I used Crisco brand)
150ml of water
3 pandan leaves, tie into a knot
1 teaspoon of pandan paste
1 kg of lotus paste, pandan flavour (*Get ready paste from the supermarket/ baking supplies shop)
100 grams of melon seeds, toasted at 160°C for 10 minutes
1) Boil water with pandan leaves for 10 minutes. Heat off and leave to cool. Add in pandan paste and stir till disolved. Leave in refrigerator to chill before use.
2) Add toasted melon seeds with lotus paste and form into each small ball (about 60 – 70 gram each lotus paste ball).
3) Place fried glutinous rice flour, icing sugar, snow powder and shortening far into a large mixing bowl. Mix well with spatula, or electrical mixer at low speed, till mixture turns into crumb-like texture.
4) Add cold pandan water into crumb-like flour mixture. Mix well with spatula, or mixer at low speed (about 1 – 2 min), to form soft dough. Remove soft dough from mixing bowl and place it on a floured (with fried glutinous rice flour) table top and knead for few seconds to form into a dough ball. Rest dough for 10 minutes.
5) Cut dough ball into halves and roll it out. Cut the rolls into required size (about 10g each) and flatten each small dough into thin layer.
6) Fill in lotus paste, seal and shape the cake into ball. Lightly pat just a little fried glutinous rice flour all over the cake ball. Also flour the mooncake mould before placing cake ball into the mould and press firmly.
7) Over turn the mould to knock the cake out from mould. Repeat steps till all ingredients used. Ready to serve chilled.
Soft, chewy and fragrant snow skin mooncake. I liked it not too sweet. It can be served at room temperature or chilled. 1 mini snowskin mooncake counts about 200kcal.
Snow skin moon cake can be stored in refrigerator, and it may last up to 2 weeks. However, snow skin might be harden if store for too long. To reduce/ prevent harden skin, place mooncake in a box and wrap the box with newspaper.
For traditional baked mooncake, check it out now..
Tips: Mix with snow powder is to reduce sweetness of the mooncake skin. If do not wish to add snow powder, use 200 grams of icing sugar instead. Same thing, if wish to reduce sweetness further, use 200 gram of snow powder and completely omit icing sugar.
* Shortening fat is vegetable fat with less grease. Other brands besides Crisco, can be found in major supermarket stores and baking supplies shops.
* Flour used for skin making as well as coating and flouring table, all must be the fried glutinous rice flouw and not the normal glutinous or plain flour. Only the fried one is edible without baked/ cooked. Even though it is called fried rice flour, but it is still look pretty much ike normal rice flour in white colour (NOT brown colour nor fried crisped texture). Ready fried glutinous flour can be found at major supermarkets.
* Rest the soft dough to turn it into moist and pliable textured snow skin. If rest soft dough longer than 10 minutes, cover dough with dry cloth or cling wrap when resting it.
* Snow skin can make into different flavour and colour by changing the flavour/ essence, according to different filling used.
* If you wish to add salted egg yolk, reduce amount of lotus paste to half. Salted egg yolk and lotus paste can be found at major supermarkets.