“Simple healthy dish, delicious homecooked taste, and likeable by most children!”
A variation of hot plate egg tofu dish. I do not have an iron plate at home, and hence, I used stir-frying method to prepare the dish (maybe I should just try heating up a fire-resistant metal plate to serve this dish next time).
Without extensive ingredients, such as, crab meat sticks, prawns and mushroom shreds, and lack of sizzling effect, this simply an egg tofu homemade dish, with just the minced meat added (these were what I had in my refrigerator the other day… :D). Simple homemade dish, but likeable by most children!
2 tubes of silken egg tofu (soy beancurd in tube form)
150 grams of minced meat
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
Generous amount of ground white pepper
Sprinkle of sesame oil
Pinch of salt and sugar (just a small pinchy will do)
¾ – 1 cup of water (depends on amount of gravy desired)
1 tablespoon of cornstarch (made into slurry with 2 tablespoons of water)
1 cup of cooking oil (for deep frying of egg tofu)
½ teaspoon of Shao Hsing Hua Diao rice wine (*add this to taste even better, if you are not serving toddler)
1) Cut each roll of tofu into pieces of 1cm thick, lengthwise. You may place tofu on a sheet of kitchen towel to dry out excessive water in the tofu.
2) Heat wok with oil over high heat, and deep-fry tofu till golden browned. Remove from wok, and drain on kitchen towel. Set aside.
3) Remove excessive oil and left only about 1 tablespoon in the wok, heat at medium flame. Slightly brown garlic, add in mince meat and water. Stir-fry well for 3 minute before adding in seasoning (and also rice wine, if desired).
4) Thicken gravy with cornstarch slurry, if it still appears watery (You may adjust the adding of cornstarch slurry till you find the right consistency). Then, break and add an egg into wok, stir it vigorously for few seconds. Heat off immediately.
5) Return golden browned egg tofu into wok, stir it gently just to combine well, and dish up.
Alternatively, place egg tofu on serving dish and pour over minced meat gravy. Serve with hot steamed rice.
If you think my dish lacks colourful appearance, garnish with scallion and chilli juliennes. Or, vary the toppings with seafood mixture instead!
However, doing with just the minced meat, it means less complication, less preparation time & less hassle to cook (smile)!
A portion golden egg tofu with minced meat & egg sauce counts about 180kcal.
Tips: Get tofu suitables for frying/ braising use. It’s easily available at most supermarkets.
* Do not over-fried the egg tofu in order to retain its moisture and soft texture. Quickly remove from oil once it’s lightly browned to allow standing time.
* Just add the egg directly into wok without pre-beating it. Egg should be added at the very final stage of cooking when it’s almost time to dish up. It’s to retain its runny texture and mouthfeel.