“Quick delicious meat broth ready to serve within 30 minutes”
This meat broth is my hubby’s favourite as he likes soup with loads of peppery taste. I had the soup with amount of ground white pepper adjusted to his taste bud. Not too spicy, yet, strong and intensive peppery flavour. I think I have used about 1 tablespoon of pepper (to be precise, I used amount of 8 ‘shakes’ of pepper bottle).
I coated the meat slices with thick layer of corn starch in order to create softer, smoother and more interesting bites of the meat. As some of the cornstarch emerges into the broth, it also made the broth thicker, and sweeter. It yielded soft, smooth and flavoursome mouthfeel of the meat. And, I loved the consistency of the soup!
The meat broth was so simple to cook.
300 gram of lean shoulder butt pork meat, thinly sliced
2 carrots, sliced lengthwise
1 chicken stock essence cube
Generous amount of ground white pepper (about 1 tablespoon, adjust amount to your desired spiciness)
Sprinkle of salt
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon of Shao Hsing Hua Diao rice wine (绍兴花雕酒)
Seasoning of pork meat:
1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
Sprinkle of sesame oil
2 tablespoon of cornstarch
1 pot of water, 70% filled (about 1500ml)
1) Season pork meat slices with the listed seasoning ingredients. Combine well and marinate for at least 15 minutes. Set aside for later.
2) Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add in chicken stock cube. When dissolved, add carrots.
3) Reduce heat to medium – low fire, simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots are cooked and softened.
4) Add ground pepper, and briefly stir to combine well. Increase to high heat and bring it to a boil.
5) When broth is boiling, add in meat slices, and salt.
6) Bring all ingredients to another boil. Stir in sesame oil and rice wine, 2 minutes before heat off. Serve hot.
This meat broth was well-liked by both hubby and my girl. It could be 1-dish meal as there are carrots and meat in it. Or, just a quick simple soup meal as late dinner/ supper to warm your body during the cold rainy night.
The regular bowl of meat broth counts about 250kcal.