“Easily made Sweet Red Bean Soup to sweeten your palate and smile”
Red bean soup (with round rice balls most of the time) is commmonly cooked and to be eaten during wedding ceremony in Chinese customary. Color of red signifies happiness and fortune, while sweet dessert represents ‘sweet’ and good life. Hence, SWEET RED bean soup will be presented in many occasions such as wedding and birthday celebrations.
As for me, I like to take red bean soup regularly, for its high Vitamin B values. Some women believe in taking more red bean soup after their monthly menstruation cycle.
I have added with lotus seeds, for its contrast in colour to my red bean soup to make it looked more presentable, at the same, get to eat some of these nice lotus seeds.
The soup may be served hot, or chilled. With more liquid base (add more water), or more paste-like consistency (less water and boil for longer hour). It’s all depend on your preference.
1 regular cup of red beans
1 handful of lotus seeds (cooked and vacuum-packed easily available in most supermarkets)
1 rock sugar (about palm-sized) or 2 smaller ones (adjust sweetness to your liking)
1 pot of water, 70% filled (about 1500ml, 6 regular cups)
1 piece of dried orange peel (sun-dried)
1) Place red beans and lotus seed in a pot of water. Bring it to a boil.
2) Add rock sugar. Reduce heat to low fire, simmer for about 40 minutes, or until cooked and tender.
3) If prefer tangy flavour, add in dried orange peel, 15 minutes before heat off. Serve.
Calorie count of a regular bowl of red bean soup is about 180 kcal. Good to have it for tea break, I think.
Tips:Adding a piece of dried orange peel gives the soup a pleasant tangy flavour. Kinda refreshing taste to your palate. It’s better to get those peels from mandarin oranges. Sun-dry the peels, pack and keep them in the freezer for more lasting effect. Remember, the longer boiling of the peels, the stronger tangy flavour will be yielded.
* If you prefer to use dried lotus seeds, please soak the seeds overnight before use.
* Soaking of red bean in advance is not necessary.
* Garnish with 1 tablespoon of coconut milk, if preferred.