“An ideal healthy light meal for your detox diet plan.”
Just feeling a little unwell with feverish body and dry throat. Chinese believes that rice congee or you called it rice porridge, may help to reduce increased body heat (the body “heatiness”). So, I like to cook porridge for dinner, if I see myself or family member with some symptoms of falling sick.
Most of the people take porridge as breakfast or supper as porridge is normally perceived as light meal. And, it is light and easily digested indeed, as compared to solid food such as rice. Porridge is good as a meal if you are on diet, too.
Some favour plain rice porridge to go with dishes like braised duck meat, fried fish, and relish such as salted egg, black bean paste and pickled lettuce, while others like Cantonese congee, for instances, pork mixes congee, fish congee and seafood congee.
1 cup of long grain rice, washed
Canned limpets (about 10 pieces in a can)
1 piece of chicken breast part (about 100 gram)
1 chicken stock cube
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 pot of water, 80% filled (about 2000ml)
Spring onion, chopped
Sprinkles of pepper and light soy sauce (optional)
1) In a large pot, bring water and rice to a boil over high heat.
2) When the rice is boiling, lower heat to medium-low fire. Add chicken stock cube.
3) When stock cube dissolves, put in chicken fillet to cook for 10 min. Place and tilt the lid on the pot.
4) Remove chicken fillet, and shred it when cooled. Set aside.
5) Stir in salt and pepper, and continue to simmer for 15 min over low heat. Stir constantly, until the rice breaks down and becomes fairly smooth texture of porridge.
6) Drain limpets from the can. Put in limpets and shredded chicken 5 minutes before heat off. Garnish and serve hot.
This rice congee is simple and quick to cook. As a working mom, congee dish has become one of my favourite 1-dish-meal as it is simple, fast-preparation, delicious and healthy! Get the ingredients prepared in the morning before left home for work. When come back in the evening, simply take about 30min to bring them to boil, and you will have delicious hot dinner served. Alternatively, use a slow cooker to boil at low heat in the morning. The congee is ready to be served anytime upon arriving home.
I cooked small abalone (limpet) and shredded chicken congee tonight, a scrumptious congee with low calories intake. This congee counts about 230kcal!
Tips: You may choose to serve with some chicken shreds on the porridge, like I did.
*You may also slice or cut the limpets into pieces instead of serving whole piece, as desired.
*Do not put in limpets too early as long cooking will toughen its texture, and make it tastes like rubber.
*Canned limpets are available in most supermarkets. It costs about S$10 per can.